Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Journalist Procrastinator

What makes something newsworthy?

Various things: interest, proximity, importance and something my professor likes to call (and aptly so) the sexy factor. But maybe one of the most important is timeliness.

If you're the last to know, it ain't news no more. And if you're the last to know and you're a journalist, you're also screwed.

If you are like me, you thrive on last-minute projects that go in just under the wire. This works if you have an actual deadline. Quite well actually. But if you are a freelancer, you have to hustle. The only deadlines are the ones you set yourself.

On this particular Saturday morning, I had intended to visit the Thornebrook Art Festival, suggested by local artist Roberto Evans. My alarm went off promptly at 9:09 a.m. Reflexes just as catlike in the wee hours, the disturbance was promptly snoozed about 10 times.

And just like that the opportunity was gone. I had time enough to get ready and report to my volunteer post.

Next order of business: make a motivational poster featuring the word "hustle."

No comments:

Post a Comment